“Just look at how sketchy all the organisations are who insist climate change is not real and is not man-made…”, an awesome person said to me. What an excellent point! The people spreading word that man made climate change is made up are rarely established scientific communities like universities. They’re more likely some organisation founded two years ago and sponsored by Shell or BP…If you’re not really interested in learning about all the sciency stuff to convince you about climate change: just take a brief look at these sketchy organisations, that should tell you that man made climate change is probably real. And that unfortunately means that partly, you and I are responsible for it.
I’ve been living with the assumption that man-made climate change “might exist”, until I was about 15, “probably exists” until like 19 and “shiit, we´re quite fucked” since that until now that I’m 22. I mean we are so fucked already, oh my god. But it’s not too late. At least not if people would stop saying hot weather is just nice. Hot weather is awesome as long as it doesn’t kill plants and animals, make storms, rise sea levels, triggers famine, disrupt local weathers so that some places become even colder and kills coral reefs. I want to dive and snorkel, damn it! Hot weather and climate change are two quite different things.
It wasn’t until that “shit, we´re fucked” notion kicked into my head that I decided to try to do something about it. So what did I do? My electricity at home is solar and wind only. I want the energy companies to build more solar and wind, so I increase demand for them. Building more waterpower in Finland would destroy beautiful nature and fish habitats. If I had a house, and not a flat, I’d probably produce my own energy with solar, wind and heat pumps, which probably is the most efficient way of heating.
Man made climate change has been a known phenomenon since the 1970s but big (evil) fossil fuels companies who were among the first to discover the effect decided not to tell the public (I wonder why…).I’m waking up every morning to the news of different Environmental News pages on Facebook and Twitter which all are written on the assumption that human made climate change is happening. That assumption can be backed up by 97% of scientists. The science hasn’t been this certain and widely known as it is now for a large part of many people’s lives, it’s a quite new thing for many. But even grandparents habits can be changed! My recently retired grandmother just told me that she has become a fantastic recycler! So proud!!
The things you need to change to already start making a difference are really easy and small. You don’t need to do much research or invest huge amounts of time in this if you start following these few tips.
5 things that you personally can do to make us less fucked:
1. Cut down on meat consumption. If you really love beef, just save it for birthdays and make it special. Check this out for yummy veggie recipes.
2. LED LED LED lightbulbs! Never buy any other type of lightbulbs because compared to LED everything else is energy draining rubbish. This is so easy to do.
3. Cycles, hybrid cars and trains. Cycling above all ♥︎. If you’re rich enough go for a hybrid car and skip the diesel SUV! There are so many cool hybrids! My personal flying vs train rule: as long as it takes less than 12h (a.k.a one night train) I’ll chose trains over flying. Would a similar rule work in your schedule perhaps? Give the idea a though at least.
4. Wind and solar electricity! Most energy providers can sell you wind and solar electricity. In Helsinki: Helen, Fortum etc. My energy bill went from ca 12 euro per month to about 13 euro per month. I’m sure you have 1 euro to spare. Give your energy provider a call.
5. Recycle metal, plastic, glass, paper, cardboard and bio waste. This saves quite much energy and the biowaste becomes biofuels. If you don’t have these bins close and you don’t own a car the glass and metal can mostly be easily transported on a bike or a bus. Try asking your housing company if they could provide recycling bins.
Sounds pretty simple, right? So give it a go, and try convincing your parents and grandparents to give it a go too! This is a really good starting kit to do your bit to make us less fucked and you can change most of those things already today.
There is of course so many other things you can do, but I think, that if you do these few things you are already doing something about the problem.